Friday, September 18, 2009

Time Flies When You're Having Fun

6 days til Pemba. 8 days til Jo’burg. 19 days til Paris. 24 days til Vegas.

Wow. Time flies when you are enjoying yourself beyond all reason! Woke up at 5am to head to Mavala for distribution today. I feel so blessed to have been at two Mavala distributions in my time here. It is an amazing process to be a part of. I rode out with the workers. I had a blast! They all love me and we just took a bunch of silly photos and laughed! I even tried to put a 70kg bag of beans on my head! Augusto thought I was going to die! It was way too heavy for me to hold on my own!

There were quite a few more people at distribution today than there was last time. Some came by foot from five hours away. It is truly humbling when I think about how close I live to food and healthcare. I could crawl on my hands and knees to Market Center over 500 times in the hours it takes for some of these families to walk to Mavala. Pastor Pintos’ house is almost complete and then he can start to preach at the Mavala church. The village can hardly wait. Any chance they get to hear the word of God and their voices go silent. It’s powerful.

I met a baby today and fell in love. Surprised? He was there with his parents and his paternal grandmother. His mom was one of OU’s original orphans. She and her three siblings were orphaned several years ago when their parents were murdered in Maputo. They were brought back to Balama to live with OU until an aunt stepped forward to help. Now she lives with her husband, two children and her siblings. Typical story, luckily a fairly happy one.

Went to Pastor Fred’s wedding today! Africans really know how to party! The pastor who married them rode in on a dirt bike and led their truck around town. The bed of the truck was filled with teenagers singing at the tops of their lungs! It was great! The ceremony wasn’t much different than one from back home. The only real difference was the fact that Fred and his wife were not smiling. Apparently, they have to appear solemn to display that they are entering into marriage seriously. It was SO HOT. No AC and over 90 degrees in a room of 75 people. The room was no bigger than a 10x10ft storage room! It was hot and smelly! When we finally left the court, we followed the wedding truck by foot. There was a group of woman that S and I joined in singing and dancing down the street. Quite the scene!

1 comment: