Sunday, September 6, 2009

Summer Skin

A friend from years past consumed my dreams last night. Apparently the next chapter in my emotional baggage purge. I’ve been listening to a lot of music lately and one of the best groups ever, Death Cab for Cutie, has been consistently playing as I fall asleep at night. One of my favorite songs is Summer Skin. It brings to mind all of the loves of my life and how so many of them were fleeting. Not just boys that I’ve had feelings for, but also my friends and interests. As I reflect on everything and everyone, I’m realizing that I want stability and longevity. The few friends that I have had since I was little and the ones that I’ve met more recently are wonderful. I don’t want to imagine my life without any of them and, as of my recent trip to Utah, I no longer have to! Yay for second chances! I’ve been blessed with amazing people and adventures, but only a few of them have really proven to withstand the tests of time. This has made it increasingly difficult for me to really try with anyone or anything. I’ve put a lot of effort into things and watched people and opportunities simply pick up and leave. I’m taking the time to realize that these things happened for some reason far greater than I will probably ever know and that throughout all of the come-aparts, something great always remained. This summer has been a great indication example of this. I’ve met so many new people over the past four months and made some of the biggest decisions of my life, my baptism being the biggest! And I don’t know if I would have felt so strongly about making that decision if I hadn’t had the group of people around me that I did. I don’t know where time will take me and the relationships that I have made as of late, but I do know that I am thankful for them and I am ready to take steps in my life to make things more permanent; a stable home, college, and church. I’m excited.

Phew! That was quite the purge of emotion. I’m good now. OH! I saw the Milky Way tonight for the first time in my life! It lit up the entire sky! We are so blessed. I simply walked outside at six o’clock at night to a moonless sky and saw one of the most phenomenal sights ever. How could anyone not believe that there is something more for us? With all of this beauty for us to appreciate, why not give Him credit?

No comments:

Post a Comment