Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Portuguese?

I wrote letters to six people last night, yet another attempt at making things right with everyone and letting go of the past. I’m feeling pretty good about it. B and I had a long talk about the importance of forgiveness, both offering it and receiving it. I needed to get a bunch of hurt out of my system so that I can open up more in my relationships with God, my friends and my family. I’m praying that this is precisely what I needed to jumpstart the healing process! I got a couple of nice emails from home. I love hearing from everyone. The hardest part of this trip has definitely been not being able to talk to my family and friends. Other than that, I have so genuinely enjoyed my time here! I’m excited about next year! This trip has been excellent preparation for a longer one next fall. Now I know exactly what to bring and how much. I also know that I need to get myself a Portuguese tutor! If anyone knows of someone in Sitka, help a girl out! It is extremely difficult to give medical attention to a seven year old that doesn’t speak English. It’s harder when her two care takers don’t either!

Fatima ripped a toenail off today and was bleeding everywhere. Trying to help her was close to impossible. I just said a quick prayer that she could understand that I was there to help and went to work! She had to be restrained while we got her cleaned off and taped up. Poor girl. She was so afraid! Thankfully, we were able to take care of things swiftly and she spent the rest of school glued to my side. Thank you, Lord!

I found out today that one of our young widows killed her newborn baby. She has been removed from our program. A brand new person was killed because this woman didn’t have the guts to admit that she had had sex out of wedlock. I understand a person’s nervousness at admitting wrongdoings, I struggle with it all of the time, but there is NEVER an excuse to do what she did. My whole heart hurts. Things like this make me want my mom.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know why I comment, because I am just left speechless by each post!!

    ReplyDelete