Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Cure for Anything

One week from tomorrow and I will be on the ocean. What is it about the water that affects me so deeply? It’s like I can just think about putting my toes in the salt water or bobbing along in a boat and my heart swells as though I am reminiscing about the first time I fell in love! A wise woman once told me to never love anything that couldn’t love you back. I think we were talking about my coffee table, right L? :) Anyway, I honestly believe that the ocean loves me back! The way it embraces each and every part of me and how it supplies my family with sustenance… That has to be love! I know that He created the heavens and earth and land and water, but I think He had me in mind with the ocean. Or maybe He had the ocean in mind when He created me. He wanted me to be someone who could really appreciate all that He gave us with the water. Well I’m here and I’m appreciating!

We got an emergency call to the bush, or further into it that we already are anyway, to pick up a pregnant woman who was having complications due to malaria. We drove back to get her and she was literally in the bushes. With only one week until her due date, she was feverish, vomiting and everything else that goes along with those nasty amoebas. I had serious empathy for her. I know how awful I felt last week and I can hardly imagine the fear that would go along with being pregnant as well. We prayed for her and dropped her off at the clinic. We will know in a few days how things turn out.

We drove from the clinic to a very remote village that is interested in getting a church. Within fifteen minutes, B had bought the land! Looks like we have some fundraising to do, friends! The team will need as many donations as possible to cover the cost of construction and the $75 a month to house and feed the pastor and his family. It’s very exciting!

Today at lunch was another episode of Westside Story: War at the Watering Hole! I know I haven’t mentioned it before, but every afternoon around 1pm there is an epic battle between the mongooses and the crows. The crows are like mafia hit men! They aren’t like our crows back home. They have on little tuxedos. They’re smaller than our crows too, but just as obnoxious! They don’t let ANYONE get to the water! Not even the smaller birds. The mongooses, though totally outnumbered, put up quite a fight. It’s good ol’ bush entertainment!

Tomorrow is the best day of the week! Baby day! And it’s my last one here until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment