Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Countdown Begins

Holy moly. My last Sunday in Balama. I am amazed at how quickly the month went by. I am beyond ready to get home. I mostly can’t wait to get back and tie up all of the loose ends. There is a lot in my life right now that is up in the air. School, a job, and my home. I need to get back and get my life into some sort of order.

We got news today that a baby has died. She was one month old. I’m not entirely sure what happened, but apparently she had been sick for a week and her little body couldn’t take it anymore. What is even harder for me is that my little girls’ twin brother has severe malaria. His mom brought him to us this afternoon. He was whimpering and totally lethargic. B gave him medication and we prayed for him and sent them home. I can only pray that we wake up tomorrow to a baby and not needs for a funeral. Scary stuff.

Church was amazing today! Not only did everyone dance and sing as usual, but they had a little ceremony for me! Different people came up to praise the Lord for my good heart and hard work. It was really lovely. Everyone came up for hugs and kisses and we all laughed and cried! It is so nice to be a part of such a transparent group of people! Everyone back home teases me for being too easily excited or quick to cry, but here everyone is like me! YIPPEE! I fit in somewhere!

Three people asked to have the Lord in their lives today. They stood up in church on their own and walked to the front and stated their testimonies. One was really intense. He had been raised Muslim and had been practicing his entire life. 23 years ago, he acquired rheumatoid arthritis and was unable to work. Less than one week ago, he had a dream that told him to go to the nearest church. He found out where Fred lived and requested to go to church with him on Sunday. Following his conversation with Fred, he awoke the next day with no pain! He had been healed! I know it sounds incredulous, but I talked to him myself. He came to the front of the church and told everyone in the room about how amazing he felt and how he knows it’s because he has Jesus in his life! WOW! I myself have never truly understood or believed in His healing power, but this is as much proof as any.

I’ve been very emotional all day today and I’m not really sure why. I have a ton of mixed feelings right now. I miss everyone terribly, but I don’t want to leave. I need to get home to start putting my life together, but none of that really matters if I’m not where I’m supposed to be. I am just feeling very unsettled. Time to pray.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, the second-to-last paragraph just gave me rolls and rolls of chills!!

    The time to go home will come sooner than you are ready for it, I'll bet....our human-ness makes us long for home, but you are growing and changing and learning and affecting the people over there in long-reaching ways--the lasting effects of which will go on long after you are gone.

    ReplyDelete