Friday, September 4, 2009

I got peed on!

Photos take too long to load, so just the updates for now... you'll have to wait til I hit Jo'burg to see these gorgeous kiddos!

Wednesday:
Walked through the village for the first time today to check on the status of two new houses. It is amazing to see what these men can do in mere hours. They have a brick press here and then they transport the bricks to the site and begin construction. I was given the opportunity to go into the houses and they really are incredible. Very dark, but VERY COOL!! (as in temperature.) I had assumed they would be much more cramped, but there were three bedrooms in one! The latrine is outside as is the kitchen. Both are communal between two to three families. And there are banana trees everywhere!! MMM!!

I touched my first baby today too. It’s a good thing that it’s illegal to take one home or else I’d have strapped this one to my back! She was perfect. Beautiful. Who will she become? What will she see and do? She had the softest hair and skin. Not much is soft here as the dust and dirt cake everything. But she was seemingly untouched by any filth at all. At preschool today we worked on numbers. There is a little boy that is 3 years old named Geraldo. For the past three days, I have seen all of the children laughing and playing, but he is somber. It is almost painful to observe how quiet and reserved he is. He simply stares at me. I feel like he is looking into my soul. But what is he searching for? He has days old wounds all over his arms, presumably burns. I want to kiss them better. Also, the little albino boy has sun blisters on his ears. I asked B if I could put sunscreen on them and she said ‘if you can get close to him.’ Sounds like a mission to me! I know no one will be able to continue once I leave, but perhaps the next three weeks of good care can save his little ears from cancer.

Dinner was AWESOME! Sweet African corn pancakes with honey. And banana and papaya! Spent some quality time with B. I truly feel like one of my reasons for being here is to be her friend. The Lord knows how tired she gets, but the energy we have when we are together is lovely.

Thursday:
Woke up early and did my exercises! Yay me! It felt good to be so active. It was distribution and weigh-in day in Balama. The families all gather and get their corn, salt, beans, and laundry soap for the week and the babies get weighed and receive their formula. THEY ARE AMAZING!! All of them are so different from one another!

One baby came strapped to her brother’s back. He is four years old and the main caretaker for her. Apparently, she is a twin and the mother has shunned her and cared for the other, a boy. This little girl is tiny. I have photos. She is so small compared to her brother. I’m praying that either the mother finds it in her to care for both children equally or that she can give the baby to us to be better taken care of. Precious, perfect little girl. I want to come back next year and see that she and all of the others are happy and healthy little toddlers. Seems reasonable, right?

I got some FANTASTIC photos. And... I GOT PEED ON!! Apparently this is a right of passage! More and more is happening to solidify Balama in my heart.

Friday:
Distribution to the people at Mavala went well today. I helped by passing out soap with Dominica, she is a local woman who serves as our kitchen staff. Took some photos of the process to help bring everything to life for everyone back home. B and I discussed my return next year. I feel needed here, and not just because there is so much need. I feel really needed. And that feels pretty amazing.

I got a few really nice messages from people back home. Words cannot adequately express how much joy it brings to my heart. This weekend should be pretty lax. There is lot’s to be done, but we have time to spend together. I’m looking forward to Sunday morning. Church will be that much better than last week now that the children know who I am! I even have a little favorite! (I know that is wrong, but I just cannot help it!) Her name is Aminat and she is a total camera ham! And today, for the very first time, she ran up to me on the road and hugged me. It was amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Again--you feed my soul. You are just brimming full of light and goodness....keep nourishing those souls, Kathryn! :)

    ReplyDelete