Thursday, July 29, 2010

Pickin' up where I left off...

I cannot remember the last time that I wrote for pleasure.. Being a student again has definitely caused my brain to switch gears on me! However, following recent life experiences, I have decided to start writing again. I am so excited to relive the past few months of my life! It's been a wild ride..

In March, I relocated to Mount Pleasant, South Carolina after taking a job as a nanny. What a wonderful idea that turned out to be! Aside from the bouts of homesickness (which can sometimes be debilitating!) I am so happy here. The weather is nothing to complain about and I regularly taunt my Alaska/Utah family with photos of me laying on a beach somewhere. (I'm a good friend, I know!) The food is good. It's really good. I miss my fish (salmon and halibut) but I'm starting to really enjoy swordfish and grouper! Also, shrimp and grits might be one the greatest food collaborations ever. And I've been cooking more regularly, too. Perfecting real jambalaya, vegetarian lasagna, baked macaroni and cheese.. Hummingbird cake. Yes. Hummingbird cake. It's amazing! Though, my all-time favorite southern dessert still reigns.. Red velvet. Oh, the tasty deliciousness!

I've learned that my time with this family is limited, therefore my time in Charleston might be facing a near end as well. I took a few minutes to think about what I want to spend the remainder of my southern summer doing..


1. Walk the Cooper River Bridge without passing out
2. Run the IOP Connector without passing out
3. Tour Boone Hall Plantation.. Catch a butterfly on my nose
4. Take a Charleston ghost tour
5. See an alligator in the wild.. or at least on the golf course
6. Get IOP, SI, and CHS stickers (for the car that I don't own yet!)
7. Play in the fountains downtown and have someone take a photo of me
8. Go paddleboarding.. twice!
9. Kayak under the Cooper River Bridge
10. Eat fresh tuna at Long Point Grille
11. Play cornhole
12. See a sea turtle released into the wild
13. Go to a Southern Baptist church and sing praise to Him at the tops of my lungs!!
14. Do 1 hour of uninterrupted yoga on the beach
15. Drive to Savannah and take a ghost tour
16. Find a shark tooth in Myrtle Beach
17. Wear a big, white flower in my hair
18. Grill something super tasty
19. Buy local produce at the Tuesday afternoon Farmer's Market
20. Read a Nicolas Sparks book on the beach
21. Buy my own pair of coyboy boots
22. Wear a floppy brimmed sun hat at Folly Beach
23. Eat at Taco Boy... again!
24. Have a visitor from home
25. Ride a mechanical bull
26. Go skydiving
27. Ride a jet ski
28. Be a mermaid
29. Sleep outside
30. Catch a firefly

Now, I know some of these things appear to be a little bit unrealistic. I realize that I can't be an actual mermaid, but I am excited to get buried in the sand and given a tail and shell boobies! Riding a mechanical bull might be a problem, as there isn't one located at a bar around here (weird). Riding a jet ski will be slightly difficult as I don't know anyone who has one.. But I'm always making friends! I think that these are all things that can be done. I've done some research about prices for things and dates that classes are held. I'll do it, to it!

1 comment: