Friday, August 28, 2009

Oh! What a beautiful morning..!!

Today, we awoke and had a lovely breakfast of eggs, toast, fruit and some sort of bacon thing. I ate it!! I don't think I'll ever eat it again, but I made a pact with myself to try as much as I can!

G and J took me on a short drive around the upper class part of town and the houses are AMAZING! They are like big compounds with huge brick walls and barbed wire fencing. I asked J why it is that there is wire all over the place (every other house has it atop their walls) and she said it is for protection. Break-ins are quite frequent around Jo'burg.

We went to the botanical gardens this afternoon.. Witwatersrand National Botanical Gardens to be specific. (www.sanbi.org/frames/sisulufram.htm) The garden is famous for having a pair of Verreaux Eagles nesting high on the cliffs next to a huge waterfall. It was magnificent! The flowers were absolutely amazing and the different types of birds were so fun! There is one bird, a little yellow one called a beaver, that builds the most fantastic nest. The male beaver gathers twigs and roots and weaves a basket out of them. Then, the female goes up and grabs onto the nest and shakes the heck out of it to make sure it is suitable for eggs. If it isn't, she insists that he make another one and won't lay eggs with him until it is perfect! Funny how that type of behavior is somewhat inter species! And all of the birds have the funniest voices! I had fun speaking with them as we sat for lunch. I had a lovely salad and CARROT CAKE for dessert! (That was for you, L!!) I drank the most wonderful lemonade and passion fruit fizz and had a sip of ginger beer (it's like root beer, but made with fresh ginger!!).

We headed back onto the trail and took photos of all of the different plants, trees and flowers. Just before getting to the falls, we found a local!! A big tortoise!! My first African animal!! He was so wonderful!! Just sitting in the grass, munching away. I was able to lay down right next to him and chat for a bit. He hid in his shell for about ten seconds before heading my direction and eating more grass. I was literally inches away from him! I put Bert! the Brontosaurus next to him and got a precious photo of them giving Eskimo kisses! He let me pet his shell and touch his toes! What a kind and gentle old man!

We walked up to the falls and it was so beautiful. It smelled different than the waterfalls back home, but was still fantastic. Up very high, to the left of the second falls, was the eagles nest! It was MASSIVE! Built right into the nook and cranny of the cliff side! We stayed and took some photographs and headed back to the car. (Not before saying thank you to my new tortoise friend, of course!)

This is what I imagined Africa being like. The plants, the animals and birds, the friendly people. Being in the gardens brought absolute joy to my soul. Though I've never doubted Him for a second, this beautiful place confirmed in me that the Lord is abundant in this world. The flowers, so rich in color, all shot straight up to the sky as if asking to be touched and smelled. The birds, speaking back and forth to each other, building safe homes for their young, reminded me that even things with the tiniest of brains have enough knowledge to befriend others and care for their young. And our waiter, a young man named Glory, had the most beautiful smile in the world. So kind and soft spoken, gracious with any type of compliment. With all of the scary things I've heard of and been faced with over the last two days (is that it?!), this place shook me to my core and reminded me to SEEK THE BEAUTY! It is here!! There is no need for our souls to be dampened by the sadness and ugliness that the world has. We simply must acknowledge that it exists and learn from it. We MUST seek the beauty and the good!

Now back home with G, J, and Kaska (who is the best watchdog ever!), I feel an overwhelming sense of peace. It was a lovely afternoon with two of the kindest people I will ever know. I was able to talk to my mama for a brief moment, which is always the BEST! Tomorrow I head out to the bush, where I will spend the next month surrounded by children! I am anxious and nervous, but oh so excited. Brenda has pulled a muscle in her back and will not be able to drive to get me, but she is sending to African men to get me, priests from the village!! Such an adventure is heading my way! Again, thank you to everyone who has helped get me here. I look forward to continuing to update you as often as possible!

Blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Oooo, have fun!! I'm so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read what you have written up to the 28th and I must say you have a special talent at writing ! YOU MUST consider writing a book of your time there.God Bless you for what you are doing and AMEN to all the blessings He has bestowed on you. I'm going to enjoy keeping up with you.

    Lisa Mooneyham
    (Grace Harbor)

    ReplyDelete