Saturday, August 29, 2009

Balama or Bust!

I got out of bed early this morning to make my final calls before heading into the bush. Sent out a couple of emails, hopped in the shower and finished prepping for my trip. Anxiety has completely overtaken my heart and as much as I pray for relief, I’m sure this is just part of the plan. I’m trusting that I will feel better once I have arrived in Balama tonight.

It was a long ride to the airport, but I was able to get checked in alright and then I sat with J and G until it was time to go through security. My heart hurt a little bit when saying goodbye to them.

I had to board a bus at the terminal that drove me to the plane. It was strange. I got a window seat, though I didn’t utilize it until the end of the three and a half hour flight. I tried sleeping, but was FREEZING! It was so cold! Flying over the ocean was amazing. The Indian Ocean!! WOW! It is an indiscriminate blue. And the white sands beaches of Pemba are absolutely beautiful! This is Africa?

Ali was waiting for me when I arrived. A very nice priest, funny too! We loaded up and began our four and a half hour journey into the bush. Pemba Mozambique is 3rd world. No questions asked. It is hot and broken. It smells. I used a restroom at a gas station and gagged. But the people! OH!! They are all so beautiful! They’re all quite timid of me, but when I watch or listen to them, they have fantastic personalities.

I saw a woman breastfeeding and almost cried. The baby was wrapped in a sling, suckling while the mother balanced a pot of water on her head. This is the kind of thing you see in National Geographic! I watched a little girl pick her nose and eat it. Kids! My initial thought was to say something about digging for gold (I am my mother!), but I hesitated at the thought that she probably hadn’t much to eat anyway. Strangely though, I don’t feel pity. More than anything, I feel a strange level of respect. And of course, humility. They walk barefoot along the dirt road that takes you over 60km into the heart of the African plains. They show no difficulty at balancing at least three quarters of their body weight in water and grass on their heads. Never a day off.

The final two hours of the drive were INSANE! I’ve been four wheeling before and rallied my share of trucks, but never like this! We were almost sideways! And the bridges were crazy! Ali’s wife laughed at me when I thanked the Lord for helping us cross safely! Pray that it doesn’t rain too much while I’m here or else I am stuck!

We finally arrived in Balama after the long and bumpy ride. Met up with my dear friend B and headed off to bed. It’s pitch black by seven o’clock. I do everything by headlamp. I can hear a man chanting in the distance and crickets, seemingly in harmony with his voice.

Ahh, the sounds of the bush.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, Kathryn....I waited for a quiet moment before reading this post. I'm glad I did. I can hear the bush, too, through your writing. It's beautiful; evocative; poignant. I can't wait to hear more--I'm feasting on your narrative!!

    ReplyDelete